DFS Application Code: HP 82-100
AD Application Code: HP 83-200
In order to further enhance Hong Kong’s reputation as one of the world’s safest cities in the 21st Century, effective management of crime is crucial, from prevention of crime to detection, prosecution, adjudication, sentencing, correction and reintegration of offenders. Through differentiation and specialisation, there is now considerable career potential in the fields of criminal justice and law enforcement, disciplinary services and security management, all with the common objective of maintaining law and order.
This programme is the first of its kind and is unique in Hong Kong. It has been developed in response to both the future academic and career development potentials in the field of criminal justice and law enforcement in Hong Kong. It is designed to help those interested secondary school leavers, who wish to obtain a tertiary-level qualification in this field, to explore their academic potential and career aspirations in criminal justice and law enforcement.
Programme Aims and Features
This programme aims to equip the students with both the theoretical and practical groundings in the core knowledge and specialism skills as required for serving the modern criminal justice systems. The curriculum focuses mostly on the social, legal and scientific aspects of the administration of justice with particular emphasis within the local context. Through outdoor law enforcement training workshops and activities, students are provided with hands-on experiences for learning the essential characteristics required for law enforcement practitioners. In addition, it provides students with a broad-based foundation in Social Sciences and hence prepares them for higher level studies in related disciplines.
Opportunities for Further Studies
Graduates are eligible to apply for admission to:
- Full-time, Bachelor’s degree programmes offered locally by overseas universities in collaboration with HKU SPACE International College (IC):
- 2-year, Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Criminology and Sociology, The University of Hull (UK);
- 2-year, Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Criminology with Psychology, The University of Hull (UK);
- 2-year, Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Criminology, The University of Hull (UK);
- 2-year, Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Sociology, The University of Hull (UK);
Part-time, 2-year (trimester) Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Social Sciences, offered locally by Edinburgh Napier University (UK) in collaboration with HKU SPACE;
- Bachelor’s degree programmes in Social Sciences or other related disciplines offered by local (including HKU) as well as overseas universities, including Bachelor of Social Sciences offered by The University of Hong Kong (HKU).
This programme prepares students for various job opportunities in the field of criminal justice and law enforcement, e.g. Inspector of Police and Police Constable, Correctional Services Officer and Assistant Officer, Immigration Officer, Inspector of Customs, and Investigating Officer and Assistant Officer of the Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC).