Higher Diploma Programmes
HD Application Code: HP 83-507
Fashion styling and image design are integral parts of the creative industries, which have been a public policy focus in Hong Kong over the past few years. Professionals in this field are required to have specialist knowledge and skills in a wide range of areas encompassing makeup, hair styling, fashion coordination and art direction. The increasing demand for consultants or stylists to work in creative industries such as advertising, media, fashion and visual merchandising has opened up opportunities for those with the requisite knowledge and skills not only to work in Hong Kong but also to export their services and develop their creative industries in mainland China.
Programme Aims and Features
- Provides students with basic knowledge of the theoretical and practical aspects of fashion styling and image design;
- Equips students with specialist knowledge and skills in a wide range of areas encompassing the fields of makeup, hair styling, fashion coordination and art direction;
- Lectures are given by well-known professionals including makeup consultant Mr. Gary Chung and his makeup team from Portfolio Makeup Academy, image director Mr. Kary Kwok, costume designer Dr. Alvina Lee, conceptual visual artist Mr. Florian Ma and hair stylists of famous hair salons;
- Emphasises practical skills through workshops and projects;
- For students to gain actual experience in the industry, visits to related organisations or optional practical job placements will be arranged;
- Prepares students for entry into a degree-granting programme at university, and equips them with a sound base for future careers in creative industries such as advertising, media, fashion or visual merchandising.
Opportunities for Further Studies
This programme provides students with a solid academic foundation and graduates are eligible to apply for admission to bachelor's degree programmes in fashion styling, image design or relevant disciplines offered by local (including HKU) as well as overseas universities.
Graduates will be able to take up positions in the fashion, media, entertainment and advertising industries such as fashion designer / coordinator, image consultant, junior fashion editor or visual merchandiser.
2-year Higher Diploma Programme
- Level 2 or above in 5 subjects^ (including Chinese Language and English Language);
- Pass in one AL subject or two AS subjects in the HKALE; AND three passes in the HKCEE* PLUS Level 2 / Grade E or above in Chinese Language and English Language, or equivalent;
- Hold a recognised Diploma in Foundation Studies Programme, Certificate in General Studies Programme, Pre-Associate Degree Programme or Foundation Programme qualification; OR
- Equivalent qualifications will be considered by the College.
^ Applicants are allowed to use not more than two Applied Learning (ApL) subjects in the application. The recognition of the ApL subjects is as follows: “Attained with distinction” is deemed equivalent to Level 3; and “Attained” is deemed equivalent to Level 2 of the HKDSE Examination.
* Applicants are allowed to use not more than two Applied Learning (ApL) subjects in the application. Successful completion of an ApL subject will be recognised as comparable to a HKCEE subject pass.
Applicants who do not possess the above academic qualifications, but are aged 21 or above and have relevant work experience will be considered by the College.
Effective from 2017-18 Academic Year:
Higher Diploma Year 1
- Introduction to Academic English
- English for Academic Purposes I
- Mathematics and Statistics for Daily Life Applications
- Fashion and Art
- Drawing and Presentation Techniques in Fashion Design
- Design Application in Fashion
- Portfolio Planning and Development I
- Pattern Drafting
- Techniques and Process in Fashion
- Media Makeup
- Fashion History and Image Design
- Creative Hair Design I
Higher Diploma Year 2
- English for Academic Purposes II
- English for Business
- Practical Chinese
- Introduction to Multimedia
- Fashion Branding and Show Production
- Professional Studies
- Portfolio Planning and Development II
- Creative Makeup
- Visual Presentation
- Art Direction
- Creative Hair Design II
Non-Chinese speaking students or students who have not received sufficient training in the Chinese language may apply for exemption from the Chinese course(s), and alternative courses may be assigned.