Higher Diploma Programmes
Fashion styling and image design are integral parts of the creative industries, which have been a public policy focus in Hong Kong over the past few years. Professionals in this field are required to have specialist knowledge and skills in a wide range of areas encompassing makeup, hair styling, fashion co-ordination and art direction. The increasing demand for consultants or stylists to work in creative industries such as advertising, media, fashion and visual merchandising has opened up opportunities for those with the requisite knowledge and skills not only to work in Hong Kong but also to export their services and develop their creative industries in mainland China.
Programme Aims and Features
The programme provides students with basic knowledge of the theoretical and practical aspects of fashion styling and image design. Lectures are given by professionals including makeup consultant Mr. Gary Chung and his makeup team from Portfolio Makeup Academy, image director Mr. Kary Kwok, costume designer Dr. Alvina Lee, conceptual visual artist Mr. Florian Ma and hair consultants of famous hair salon hair do. Through lectures, tutorials, workshops and project work, students will acquire the requisite knowledge and practical skills to facilitate eventual employment in the fields of advertising (television commercial, print advertisement, event promotion), entertainment (theatre, film, television), media (magazine, website) or fashion and luxury goods (visual merchandising, product design). For students to gain actual experience in the industry, visits to makeup studios will be arranged during the course of study.
Opportunities for Further Studies
This programme provides students with a solid academic foundation and graduates are eligible to apply for admission to bachelor's degree programmes in fashion styling, image design or relevant disciplines offered by local (including HKU) as well as overseas universities.
Graduates will be able to take up positions in the fashion, media, entertainment and advertising industries such as fashion designer / coordinator, image consultant, junior fashion editor or visual merchandiser.
2-year Higher Diploma Programme
- Level 2 or above in 5 subjects^ (including Chinese Language and English Language);
- Pass in one AL subject or two AS subjects in the HKALE; AND three passes in the HKCEE* PLUS Level 2 / Grade E or above in Chinese Language and English Language, or equivalent;
- Hold a recognised Diploma in Foundation Studies Programme, Certificate in General Studies Programme, Pre-Associate Degree Programme or Foundation Programme qualification; OR
- Equivalent qualifications will be considered by the College.
^ Applicants are allowed to use not more than two Applied Learning (ApL) subjects in the application. The recognition of the ApL subjects is as follows: “Attained with distinction” is deemed equivalent to Level 3; and “Attained” is deemed equivalent to Level 2.
* Applicants are allowed to use not more than two Applied Learning (ApL) subjects in the application. Successful completion of an ApL subject will be recognised as comparable to a HKCEE pass (not including Chinese Language and English Language).
Applicants who do not possess the above academic qualifications, but are aged 21 or above and have relevant working experience will be considered by the College.
Higher Diploma Year 1*
- General English III
- English for Academic and Professional Purposes Part I
- Mathematics and Statistics for Daily Life Applications
- Introduction to Multimedia
- Drawing and Presentation Techniques in Fashion Design
- Design Application in Fashion
- Portfolio Planning Development I
- Pattern Drafting
- Techniques and Process in Fashion
- Media Makeup
- Fashion History and Image Design
- Creative Hair Design I
Higher Diploma Year 2*
- English for Academic and Professional Purposes Part II
- English for Business
- Practical Chinese
- Intra- and Interpersonal Competencies
- Fashion Branding and Show Production
- Professional Studies
- Portfolio Planning Development II
- Creative Makeup
- Visual Presentation
- Art Direction
- Fashion and Art
- Creative Hair Design II
* The choice of the courses in the programme may be replaced by another course under the same category depending on availability in a particular semester.