Main content start



Study Subsidy Scheme for Designated Professions/Sectors (SSSDP)

Would a non-local student be eligible for the SSSDP subsidy?

SSSDP covers LOCAL students only. Non-local students can enroll on any of the subsidised programmes, but they are not eligible for the subsidy. 

I have obtained a Diploma of Yi Jin (DYJ). Am I eligible for the subsidy?

Students holding qualifications of DYJ are eligible for the subsidy.

Would I be eligible to receive the subsidy if I am using combined results of HKDSE?

Yes, you would be eligible for the subsidy because the College considers HKDSE results from more than one sitting.

I am a local non-Chinese speaker and did not take the HKDSE Chinese Language. Would I be covered under the SSSDP?

The SSSDP covers local non-Chinese speaking students. You can use ApL Chinese Language or GCSE/GCE/IGCSE Chinese Language as an alternative to fulfill the requirement of Chinese Language.

Can I use qualifications other than HKDSE or Yi Jin Diploma to apply for subsidised programmes under SSSDP?

Yes. Applications with other qualifications will be considered.


Can I apply for student finance if I am admitted to a SSSDP programme?

Students receiving subsidy from the SSSDP with financial needs may still apply for the Financial Assistance Scheme for Post-secondary Students (FASP) and/or Non-means-tested Loan Scheme for Post-secondary Students (NLSPS) from the Government’s Student Finance Office in respect of the actual amount of tuition fee payable (i.e. actual amount of tuition fee payable after deducting the subsidy). However, they are not eligible to apply for the reimbursement of course fees from the Continuing Education Fund (CEF).

Do eligible students need to apply for the subsidy?

Eligible students will pay the amount of tuition fee net of the subsidy from the Government (in two equal instalments). No application is required.

I am a Year 1 student currently enrolled in one of the subsidised programmes. Am I eligible for the subsidy in 2019-20?

Local students who started their Year 1 study in a subsidised programme before 2019-20 academic year and are within the normal 2-year study period when progressing to Year 2 of the same programme in 2019-20, will be eligible for the subsidy.


General Questions

What is the background in setting up the HKU SPACE Po Leung Kuk Stanley Ho Community College (HPSHCC)?

Po Leung Kuk and HKU SPACE are committed and well-respected education providers that share a common vision in providing more education opportunities to school leavers. HKU SPACE Po Leung Kuk Stanley Ho Community College (HPSHCC) is established in response to the growing demand for sub-degree higher education in Hong Kong. HPSHCC admitted its first intake of students in 2006-07. Classes were held at HKU SPACE's Admiralty Learning Centre prior to the completion of the College campus located in Causeway Bay in summer 2008.

What is the relationship between HKU SPACE Po Leung Kuk Stanley Ho Community College (HPSHCC) and HKU SPACE Community College?

The two Community Colleges complement each other in the provision of sub-degree education, offering an array of programmes to meet the diverse interests of the applicants. Professor L S Chan is the Principal of both Colleges. The awards of the two Colleges are of equal status as both are under the same quality assurance mechanism. Successful completion of any programme offered by the Colleges leads to an award within The University of Hong Kong (HKU) system through HKU SPACE.

What are sub-degree programmes?

Sub-degree programmes are post-secondary education, encompassing Associate Degree and Higher Diploma programmes, which aim to meet the demand of the society in preparing secondary school leavers for further study and employment. These programmes can be considered partial degree programmes as they are generally considered and accepted as half of a 4-year bachelor's degree programme, or one third of a 3-year bachelor's degree programme.

What are the differences between Associate Degree and Higher Diploma programmes?

Both Associate Degree and Higher Diploma programmes equip students with generic skills, knowledge in specialised disciplines and practical vocational skills. In general, Associate Degree programmes put more emphasis on general education, while Higher Diploma programmes put more focus on the knowledge in specialised disciplines. Both awards are considered equivalent and eligible to apply for bachelor’s degree programmes offered by local or overseas universities, or civil services positions.


What is the medium of instruction?

Except for Chinese language or Chinese culture courses, courses in HKU SPACE Po Leung Kuk Stanley Ho Community College (HPSHCC) are conducted and assessed in English.

How is the teaching and learning in the College?

The Colleges adopts a variety of instructional activities to deliver our courses.  Depending on the nature of the courses, the activities we use including, for example, face-to-face classroom meetings, laboratories, practical sessions, company visits, seminars, workshops and training camps. Online learning is also used as a means of our course delivery. It is supported by different platforms, like SOUL, Virtual Classroom, Zoom, to conduct learning activities as appropriate.

The COVID-19 situation may still be fluid and constantly affect class arrangements in the coming months. The health and safety of our students is always our top priority. To ensure that students' academic progress is not affected, the College may substitute face-to-face classes with online teaching if necessary in the event that face-to-face classes cannot be held. 

How many semesters are there per academic year?

An academic year consists of two semesters. Each semester consistsof about 15 weeks. Semester 1 starts in September and finishes by December; Semester 2 commences in January and finishes in April / May. An examination period of 2 to 3 weeks follows the end of teaching.

How many hours / days do I have to attend classes in a week?

Usually, students have 15 hours of classes per week. Classes are running between 9:00a.m. and 6:00p.m. Monday through Friday, and between 9:00a.m. and 1:00p.m. on Saturday. Where necessary, selected classes may be held on Sunday. Students do not have to remain on the campus when there is no class.

What is the maximum / minimum length of study for each programme?

The normal length of study for the Diploma in Foundation Studies Programme and Associate Degree / Higher Diploma programmes will be one and two years respectively. If students have exceptional reasons for deferment of studies, their cases will be considered on an individual basis.

Is there any exemption from courses?

If a student is academically unable to take a certain course, the College may permit him / her to take another course in lieu. For example, Non-Chinese speaking students or students who have not received sufficient training in the Chinese language may apply for exemption from the Chinese course(s), and alternative courses may be assigned.

Do I need to repeat the whole curriculum or just repeat failed courses?

Students are required to repeat the failed courses. Students who fail to accumulate a minimum of 21 credits in any year of the academic programme may be required to discontinue from studies. Should a student be required to complete the failed courses beyond the normative period of study, a Course Repeat Fee will be charged.

What is the assessment system?

Student performance in a course is assessed by a combination of continuous assessments and examinations. Continuous assessments include course works, tests and projects.

Can students enjoy the libraries of The University of Hong Kong (HKU)?

All students of HPSHCC can have access rights and borrowing rights at the HKU libraries.

Can I progress to further studies when I have completed my sub-degree programme?

Graduates of the Associate Degree or Higher Diploma programmes can go on to pursue a bachelor’s degree at local or overseas universities. They can also further their undergraduate studies locally by taking full-time degree programmes offered by HKU SPACE International College, or part-time programmes offered by HKU SPACE.

Are there any extra costs apart from the tuition fees?

Students are required to pay a deposit of HK$500 known as “caution money” upon admission. The amount is intended for settling damages or losses incurred by the College in consequence of students’ acts. If no such damages are incurred, the money will be used as graduation fees at the time of their graduation, or be refunded if they leave the College before completing their study. Besides, an annual “Students’ Union Membership Fee” of HK$110 will also be charged. In addition, participation in overseas study tours as may be arranged is strictly voluntary. Participating students are required to pay part of the expenses apart from financial subsidies provided by the College.

Are there any scholarships and awards?

The College has established scholarships of HK$3 million for applicants with outstanding results in the HKDSE. The applicant could be awarded the scholarship upon successful admission to the College. Awardees may receive a maximum of a full first-year scholarship. With the generosity of the Directors of Po Leung Kuk et al, numerous scholarships, bursaries and sponsorship are established as an encouragement to students who have excelled in their studies or made significant contributions in serving fellow students or the community.

Can I apply for any subsidy from the Student Financial Assistance Agency?

Students of the Associate Degree and Higher Diploma programmes are eligible to apply for the Financial Assistance Scheme for Post-secondary Students (FASP) and / or the Non-means-tested Loan Scheme for Post-secondary Students (NLSPS) (Not applicable to the students of the Diploma in Foundation Studies Programme). Students of the Diploma in Foundation Studies Programme can apply for financial assistance via the Extended Non-means-tested Loan Scheme. To enquire about the details of the government grant / loans, students can contact the Government Student Financial Assistance Agency directly at:

Address: 11/F, Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices, 303 Cheung Sha Wan Road, Kowloon

Tel. No.: 2150 6222