DFS Application Code: HP 82-402@
HD Application Code: HP 83-503
More programme information and activities details could be found on the HKU SPACE HPSHCC Food and Nutrition Facebook page.
Public awareness of the importance of health is increasing. People are now concerned more about the quality of their diets in relation to good health. Modern diets have moved forward from nutrient adequacy to preventive nutrition. There is a global trend towards healthy eating and consuming dietary supplement and functional foods for health and disease. This trend has resulted in a higher demand for the food industry and nutraceutical business to market more reliable, effective and trustworthy products, which in turn has created a need for graduates who are specialised in both food studies and business management. There are many opportunities for well-trained food professionals with relevant background in business management to be employed by the food and health industries.
Programme Aims and Features
- Equips students with the knowledge underpinning food science, nutrition and business management, as well as the skills needed to work in the fast moving and competitive food industry and health food business, such as accounting, marketing, statistics and practice of management;
- This programme is unique in its interdisciplinary approach by integrating new topics such as new food product development, functional foods and nutritional supplements;
- This programme emphasises on practicality and provides an integrated curriculum that blends different applied aspects of food science into the curriculum. Practical classes are held in a well-equipped food and nutrition laboratory;
- In addition to formal classes, learning experiences outside the classroom such as practicum and site visits to local or overseas catering companies and food factories will be arranged. Students can therefore be better prepared for their careers upon graduation;
- Guests seminars will be arranged for academic progression and career advancement. Local and overseas scholars or food and nutrition practitioners will be invited as speakers to provide useful information about studies pathways, work experiences and careers preparations;
- Each student will carry out an integrated food research and development project in the final year. Through practice, students will be able to master the key elements of food development planning and perform innovative food research to a professional standard.
Opportunities for Further Studies
Programmes offered by local universities
Graduates are eligible to apply for admission to Bachelor’s degree programmes in Food Science, General Business or relevant disciplines offered by local universities (including HKU). The list below shows the UGC-funded degree offers that our graduates/ students received in the past*:
- The University of Hong Kong
BSc Information Management
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
BSc Community Health Practice
BSc Public Health
- City University of Hong Kong
BBA Business Operations Management
BSocSc Public Policy and Politics
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
BA (Hons) Applied Ageing Studies and Service Management
BBA (Hons) Management
*The above list is not exhaustive and only shows some of the examples.
Programmes offered by overseas universities
Graduates are also eligible to apply for admission to Bachelor’s degree programmes in Food Science, General Business or relevant disciplines offered by overseas universities:
- Full-time, final-year, BSc (Hons) Food and Nutrition, The University of Ulster (UK);
- Full-time, final-year, BSc (Hons) Food Marketing Management, Sheffield Hallam University (UK);
- Full-time, Bachelor of Nutrition & Dietetics / Bachelor of Nutrition Science, Queensland University of Technology (Australia) (graduates can have credit exemption).
Graduates may develop careers in any food industries such as food manufacturing, food product development, health food products retail management, food marketing and sales; and to explore career opportunities at junior supervisory level in business management and administration in related fields.
Apple Daily 13 July 2014
@ Applicants will need to attend the Diploma in Foundation Studies programme (Business – Management) (HP 82 – 402), and must satisfy all conditions specified by the programme administration before applying for admission to this 2-year Higher Diploma programme.