DFS Application Code: HPDFS-MHPM
HD Application Code: HDMHPM
Facebook & Youtube
More programme information and activities details could be found on the programme Facebook page or Youtube channel:
The medical and health products sector is an integral part of the health services industry. It encompasses a broad range of product areas including pharmaceuticals, natural health products, laboratory and scientific equipment, medical and diagnostic equipment, and health care products. These products are driven by technology and innovation, hence understanding them would require a good foundation of medical science as well as the technical background. The increasing demand for health care opens up employment opportunities for those who have the requisite knowledge of health product usage and technology, and the skills required by businesses in this sector.
Programme Aims and Features
- Provides students with basic knowledge of medical and pharmaceutical sciences. All subjects laid the solid foundations of students’ future studies in medical, nursing and health-related bachelor’s degree programmes at local as well as overseas universities;
- In order to equip students with practical experience before graduation, optional work experience programmes including community and elderly services, dispensing attachment programmes at overseas university, medical conference supporting services etc. will be arranged;
- Guest lecturers from the industries will be invited to share their invaluable experiences so that students can be well-prepared for their careers upon graduation;
- The health products teaching room, which includes a mock pharmacy and a health products consultation corner, provides ideal places for practical training;
- Students will acquire relevant knowledge and business-oriented skills to facilitate their eventual employment in the medical and health products industry, as well as scientific and laboratory equipment businesses;
- Graduates may join the private clinics and elderly homes to support pharmacists and physicians in providing pharmaceutical services to patients such as dispensing medicines and educating patients on how to take medicines properly.
Opportunities for Further Studies
Programmes offered by local universities
Graduates may apply for admission to Bachelor’s degree programmes in Pharmacy, Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Radiography, Science, Biomedical Science, Life Science, Biochemistry, Gerontology, Community Health Practice, Environmental & Occupational Safety and Health, Public Health, Health Education, Biology, Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Biotechnology, Testing and Certification, Food Science and Health Science disciplines offered by local universities (including HKU).
The list below shows the UGC-funded degree offers that our graduates/ students received in the past*:
- The University of Hong Kong
Bachelor of Education and Bachelor of Science (double degree)
Bachelor of Nursing
Bachelor of Science
Bachelor of Science (Major in Chemistry)
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Bachelor of Nursing
Bachelor of Pharmacy
BEng Biomedical Engineering
BSc Community Health Practice
BSc Natural Science
BSc Public Health
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
BEng Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
BEng Chemical and Environmental Engineering
BSc Biological Sciences
- City University of Hong Kong
BA Digital Television and Broadcasting
BA Translation and Interpretation
BSc Applied Biology
BSc Biomedical Sciences
BSc Biological Sciences
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
BA (Hons) Applied Ageing Studies and Service Management
BSc (Hons) Applied Biology with Biotechnology
BSc (Hons) Analytical Sciences for Testing and Certification
BSc (Hons) Environmental and Occupational Safety and Health
BSc (Hons) Mental Health Nursing
BSc (Hons) Nursing
BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy
BSc (Hons) Radiography
- Hong Kong Baptist University
Bachelor of Arts
Bachelor of Science
BSc (Hons) Applied Biology - Biotechnology Concentration
BSc (Hons) Chemistry
- The Education University of Hong Kong
*The above list is not exhaustive and only shows some of the examples.
Programmes offered by overseas universities
Graduates are also eligible to apply for admission to Bachelor’s degree programmes in Pharmacy, Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Radiography, Science, Biomedical Science, Life Science, Biochemistry, Gerontology, Community Health Practice, Environmental & Occupational Safety and Health, Public Health, Health Education, Biology, Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Biotechnology, Testing and Certification, Food Science and Health Science disciplines offered by overseas universities:
- Part-time, BSc in Biological Science offered locally by Edinburgh Napier University (UK) in collaboration with HKU SPACE;
- Part-time, BSc in Pharmaceutical Science, offered locally by University of Wolverhampton (UK) in collaboration with HKU SPACE;
- Full-time, Bachelor of Pharmacy, Monash University (Australia) (graduates may have courses exemption);
- Full-time, Bachelor of Pharmacy (2nd year of the 4-year) / Bachelor of Science (2nd year of the 3-year), La Trobe University (Bendigo Campus, Australia);
- Full-time, Bachelor of Pharmacy / Bachelor of Nursing / Bachelor of Podiatry / Bachelor of Nutrition & Dietetics / Bachelor of Nutrition Science, Queensland University of Technology (Australia) (graduates may have courses exemption);
- Full-time, Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (2nd year of the 4-year), Queensland University of Technology;
- Full-time, Year 2, Bachelor of Pharmacy / Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science / Bachelor of Laboratory Medicine / Bachelor of Medical Science / Bachelor of Nutrition and Food Sciences, The University of South Australia (Australia);
- Full-time, BSc Biomedical Sciences (2nd year of the 3-year) / BSc Pharmacology (2nd year of the 3-year ) / BSc Physiology (2nd year of the 3-year) / BSc Pharmacology and Physiology (2nd year of the 3-year) / BSc Anatomical Sciences (2nd year of the 3-year) / BSc Neuroscience (2nd year of the 3-year), University of Manchester (UK).
Valuable placement trainings at the Pharmacy Department and various sections of the Medical Laboratories of Taichung Chung Shan Medical University Hospital (Taiwan).
Graduates who are engaged in drug dispensing services may apply for the membership of the Hong Kong Pharmacy Technicians Association (HKPTA).
This programme provides a foundation for careers in marketing, sales and technical support functions in the medical and natural health products industry, as well as scientific and laboratory equipment businesses. Graduates may join the private clinics and elderly homes to support pharmacists and physicians in providing pharmaceutical services to patients such as dispensing medicines and educating patients on how to take medicines properly.
Virtual Reality in the Classroom
To enhance the teaching and learning effectiveness of courses like those in the medical and pharmaceutical fields, it is very important to supplement classroom lectures with hands-on experience of the course materials. Virtual Reality (VR) is one good option to deal with this issue and in addition, it can also enhance the students’ interest in learning.
For that reason, 12 VR boxes have been purhcased in which we have downloaded:
- A VR video tour of a local hospital pharmacy showing to students how it is like when working in a hospital pharmacy in HK: important sections such as outpatient dispensing section, inpatient dispensing section and the steps involved in prescription processing/drug dispensing are included in the video.
- An interactive mode of the above video so that the students can choose the part of the pharmacy they want to see or learn more by manipulating the cursor.
- A cleanroom interactive video showing the basic design and the important parts of a cleanroom that is installed with a laminar flow hood for aseptic drug reconstitutions.
- An app for human anatomy showing the human skeleton; more human organs will be included in the near future.
Apple Daily, 22 June 2021
Topick, 26 June 2019
Mingpao JUMP, 25 September 2015
Mingpao JUMP, 14 February 2014
Mingpao JUMP, 8 November 2013