DFS Application Code: HP 82-106
HD Application Code: HP 83-206
Facebook & Youtube
More programme information and activities details could be found on the programme Facebook page or Youtube channel:
The medical and health products sector is an integral part of the health services industry. It encompasses a broad range of product areas including pharmaceuticals, natural health products, laboratory and scientific equipment, medical and diagnostic equipment, and health care products. These products are driven by technology and innovation, hence understanding them would require a good foundation of medical science as well as the technical background. The increasing demand for health care opens up employment opportunities for those who have the requisite knowledge of health product usage and technology, and the skills required by businesses in this sector.
Programme Aims and Features
- Provides students with basic knowledge of medical and pharmaceutical sciences. All subjects laid the solid foundations of students’ future studies in medical, nursing and health-related bachelor’s degree programmes at local as well as overseas universities;
- In order to equip students with practical experience before graduation, optional work experience programmes including community and elderly services, dispensing attachment programmes at overseas university, medical conference supporting services etc. will be arranged;
- Guest lecturers from the industries will be invited to share their invaluable experiences so that students can be well-prepared for their careers upon graduation;
- The health products teaching room, which includes a mock pharmacy and a health products consultation corner, provides ideal places for practical training;
- Students will acquire relevant knowledge and business-oriented skills to facilitate their eventual employment in the medical and health products industry, as well as scientific and laboratory equipment businesses;
- Graduates may join the private clinics and elderly homes to support pharmacists and physicians in providing pharmaceutical services to patients such as dispensing medicines and educating patients on how to take medicines properly.
Opportunities for Further Studies
Graduates are eligible to apply for admission to:
- Bachelor’s degree programmes in Pharmacy, Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Radiography, Science, Biomedical Science, Life Science, Biochemistry, Gerontology, Community Health Practice, Environmental & Occupational Safety and Health, Public Health, Health Education, Biology, Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Biotechnology, Testing and Certification, Food Science and Health Science disciplines offered by local (including HKU) or overseas universities;
- Part-time, BSc in Biological Science offered locally by Edinburgh Napier University (UK) in collaboration with HKU SPACE;
- Part-time, BSc in Pharmaceutical Science, offered locally by University of Wolverhampton (UK) in collaboration with HKU SPACE;
- Full-time, Bachelor of Pharmacy, Monash University (Australia) (graduates may have courses exemption);
- Full-time, Bachelor of Pharmacy (2nd year of the 4-year) / Bachelor of Science (2nd year of the 3-year), La Trobe University (Bendigo Campus, Australia);
- Full-time, Bachelor of Pharmacy / Bachelor of Nursing / Bachelor of Podiatry / Bachelor of Nutrition & Dietetics / Bachelor of Nutrition Science / Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science, Queensland University of Technology (Australia) (graduates may have courses exemption);
- Full-time, Year 2, Bachelor of Pharmacy / Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science / Bachelor of Laboratory Medicine / Bachelor of Medical Science / Bachelor of Nutrition and Food Sciences, The University of South Australia (Australia).
Valuable placement trainings at the Pharmacy Department and various sections of the Medical Laboratories of Taichung Chung Shan Medical University Hospital (Taiwan).
Graduates who are engaged in drug dispensing services may apply for the membership of the Hong Kong Pharmacy Technicians Association (HKPTA).
This programme provides a foundation for careers in marketing, sales and technical support functions in the medical and natural health products industry, as well as scientific and laboratory equipment businesses. Graduates may join the private clinics and elderly homes to support pharmacists and physicians in providing pharmaceutical services to patients such as dispensing medicines and educating patients on how to take medicines properly.
Mingpao JUMP 25 Sept 2015
Mingpao JUMP 14 Feb 2014
Mingpao JUMP 8 Nov 2013