DFS Application Code: HPDFS-NFM
HD Application Code: HDNFM_FS
More programme information and activities details could be found on the HKU SPACE HPSHCC Food and Nutrition Facebook page.
Food and nutritional science is a fast-growing discipline devoted to the understanding of the relationships between food and human health. The food industry which is the largest industry in the world employs a significant number of food and nutritional scientists and safety officers. The Higher Diploma in Nutrition and Food Management curriculum prepares students to further continue their studies at degree level or to develop careers in the food and nutrition industries. The programme allows students to specialise in one of the following themes and provides depth and breadth of a specific area:
- Food and Nutritional Sciences
- Food Science and Safety
Graduates will be awarded Higher Diploma in Nutrition and Food Management
Programme Aims and Features
- Equips students with an in-depth knowledge of basic sciences such as biology, chemistry, biochemistry and physiology, as well as food science, food safety, quality control and operations management;
- Provides comprehensive training in food microbiology, instrumental food analysis and food chemistry which enables them to work in the food safety field and food industry, or to progress to further studies towards a degree in the relevant fields;
- Lecturers are dedicated and experienced, some specialism courses are taught by professionals in the food and nutrition industry;
- The curriculum emphasises both theory and practice, as well as practical skills in science and food laboratories. These skills and knowledge will equip students to enter employment in the fast-moving and competitive food industry;
- Learning experiences outside the classroom such as practicum and site visits to local or overseas institutions, nutrition facilities and food companies will be arranged;
- Graduates will be capable of entering the food industry and pursue careers such as quality control and quality assurance officers, health inspectors, food technologists or work in the areas of food product research and development.
Opportunities for Further Studies
Programmes offered by local universities
Graduates are eligible to apply for admission to Bachelor’s degree programmes in Food and Nutritional Science, Dietetics, Community Health, Biochemistry, Food Safety and Technology, Bioengineering, Exercise Science, Chemistry, Life Science, Gerontology, Health Education, Biology and Biotechnology offered by local universities (including HKU).
The list below shows the degree offers that our graduates/ students received in the past*:
- The University of Hong Kong
Bachelor of Nursing
Bachelor of Science
BSc Information Management
BSc (Major in Food and Nutritional Science)
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Bachelor of Nursing
Bachelor of Science
BSc Community Health Practice
BSc Exercise Science and Health Education
BSc Natural Science
BSc Public Health
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- City University of Hong Kong
BA English Studies
BSc Applied Biology
BSc Applied Physics
BSc Biomedical Sciences
BSc Environmental Science and Management
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
BA (Hons) Applied Ageing Studies and Service Management
BSc (Hons) Applied Biology with Biotechnology
BSc (Hons) Food Safety and Technology
- Hong Kong Baptist University
BSc (Hons) Applied Biology – Biotechnology Concentration
BSc (Hons) Chemistry
*The above list is not exhaustive and only shows some of the examples.
Programmes offered by overseas universities
Graduates are also eligible to apply for admission to Bachelor’s degree programmes in Food and Nutritional Science, Dietetics, Community Health, Biochemistry, Food Safety and Technology, Bioengineering, Exercise Science, Chemistry, Life Science, Gerontology, Health Education, Biology and Biotechnology offered by overseas universities:
- Part-time, 2-year, BSc (Hons) Food and Nutrition^ offered locally by Ulster University (UK) in collaboration with HKU SPACE;
- Full-time, final-year, BSc (Hons) Human Nutrition / BSc (Hons) Food and Nutrition, Ulster University (UK);
- Full-time, final-year, BSc (Hons) Food and Nutrition, Coventry University (UK);
- Full-time, final-year, BSc (Hons) Nutrition, Oxford Brookes University (UK);
- Full-time, final-year, BSc (Hons) Food and Nutrition, Sheffield Hallam University (UK);
- Full-time, BSc (Hons) Human Nutrition, University of Westminster (UK);
- Full-time, Bachelor of Nutrition & Dietetics / Bachelor of Nutrition Science, Queensland University of Technology (Australia) (graduates can have 1-year credit exemption).
^ This is an exempted course under the Non-local Higher and Professional Education (Regulation) Ordinance. It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognise any qualifications to which this course may lead.
Graduates will have a range of career opportunities in the food, nutrition and catering industries such as health and nutrition-related commercial companies, food manufacturing, food trading, restaurants, airline caterers or institutional food service companies, school meal caterers, elderly homes, sport and health institutions, government agencies and hospitals.
Apple Daily 13 July 2014