DFS Application Code: HP 82-700
HD Application Code: HP 83-500
Programme Aims and Features
- Introduces students to sport coaching issues including the role of the coach, coaching science and performance, and management knowledge in recreation and sport activities;
- Emphasises developing competencies central to the coach and sport and recreation manager with a special focus upon Sport Coaching, Sport Science and Assessment, Sport Event Management, Sport Performance, Sport and Recreation Facility Management, Sport Development, Outdoor Adventure and Recreation Programming;
- Compulsory module in the summer for students to apply theory and knowledge in a practical context, in order to develop the individual and professional competencies needed as a coach when working in the recreation and sport industry;
- Students have the opportunity to participate in major local sports and recreation events as volunteers in preparation for future careers.
Graduates will be awarded Higher Diploma in Sport Coaching and Sport Performance.
Opportunities for Further Studies
- Bachelor’s degree programmes in Sport and Recreation Management, Sport Coaching or other related disciplines offered by local (including HKU) as well as overseas universities;
- Full-time, Overseas study, Bachelor of Science (Hons) Sport Coaching, The University of Northumbria at Newcastle (UK) (This programme is under review);
- Full-time, 18-month, Bachelor of Arts (Hons) Sport Development with Coaching, offered locally by the University of Northumbria at Newcastle (UK) in collaboration with HKU SPACE International College;
- Part-time, 36-month, Bachelor of Arts (Hons) Sport Development with Coaching, offered locally by the University of Northumbria at Newcastle (UK) in collaboration with HKU SPACE.
2+2 Study Articulation in Hong Kong
From September 2017, there is a new “2+2 Study Articulation” for new students of HDSRM. Students who confirm to study this 2-year programme will be given a conditional offer* by the University of Northumbria at Newcastle, UK to study another 2 years in Hong Kong to finish the BSc (Hons) Sport Coaching.
*Students are required to fulfill the graduation requirements of the Higher Diploma study and have a successful admission interview for the degree study.
Graduates may be considered for coaching and supervisory positions with organisations such as the Leisure and Cultural Services Department (LCSD), National Sports Associations (NSAs), fitness centres and community based sport and recreation organisations.
This is a compulsory module offered in the summer during which students undertake work experience and apply their acquired theory and knowledge into a practical context to develop the individual and professional competencies needed when working in the recreation and sport industry.
Mingpao JUMP, 11 August 2017