DFS Application Code: HPDFS-ACCT
HD Application Code: HDACT_AB
More programme information and activities details could be found on the programme Facebook page:
This programme was formerly known as Higher Diploma in Business (Accounting and Banking), and has been restructured and retitled as Higher Diploma in Accounting with effect from the 2016-17 academic year.
The Higher Diploma in Accounting is designed to provide students with professional and broad-based education in accounting. It consists of 2 years of study. The first year of study follows a common core curriculum, in which all students will have to enrol in the generic and core business courses. These modules provide students with training in languages and general education as well as knowledge of the foundation of business. Business courses such as financial accounting, auditing, taxation and economics will be included. This arrangement will give students the opportunity to explore the areas they are interested in before choosing their stream of study. In the second year, students will specialise in one of the following themes:
- Accounting Studies
- Accounting and Banking
- Accounting and Financial Planning
Graduates will be awarded Higher Diploma in Accounting.
Programme Aims and Features (Accounting and Banking)
- Emphasises on accounting and banking specialisms, which allows graduates to pursue a career in the banking field in addition to becoming an accountant;
- Students will be able to apply and integrate various business concepts and principles learnt to prepare financial statements, prepare and analyse organisational strategies as well as develop a framework for understanding the operations of commercial banks.
Opportunities for Further Studies
Graduates are eligible to apply for admission to Bachelor’s degree programmes in Accountancy, Business Administration or other related disciplines offered by local universities (including HKU).
The list below shows the degree offers that our graduates/ students received in the past*:
- The University of Hong Kong
BSc Information Management
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Bachelor of Business Administration
- City University of Hong Kong
BBA Business Analysis
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
BBA (Hons) Global Supply Chain Management
- Hong Kong Baptist University
BBA (Hons) Accounting Concentration
*The above list is not exhaustive and only shows some of the examples.
Graduates are also eligible to apply for the below degree programmes offered by other institutions:
Other Local Institutions
- HKU SPACE
- Full-time or part-time, BSc (Hons) in Accounting, offered by The University of Hull (UK) in collaboration with HKU SPACE
- Full-time or part-time, BSc in Accounting and Finance, offered by The University of London Business Programmes (Academic Direction: London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE) (UK) in collaboration with HKU SPACE
- Full-time or part-time, BSc in Banking and Finance, offered by The University of London Business Programmes (Academic Direction: London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE) (UK) in collaboration with HKU SPACE
- The University of Queensland (Australia)
Graduates are eligible for exemption from:
Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) for up to 4 papers in the Professional Examinations;
The Association of International Accountants (AIA) for up to 5 papers in the Professional Examinations;
The Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) for up to 3 papers in the CIMA Certificate in Business Accounting;
Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (HKICPA) for up to 5 modules in the new Qualification Programme (QP).
Pathways are available for graduates to become CPAs.
This programme will enable students to explore career opportunities at junior supervisory level in accounting and banking or related fields.