DFS Application Code: HP 82-401
HD Application Code: HP 82-803
More programme information and activities details could be found on the programme Facebook page:
This programme was formerly known as Higher Diploma in Business (Accounting), and has been restructured and retitled as Higher Diploma in Accounting with effect from the 2016-17 academic year.
The Higher Diploma in Accounting is designed to provide students with professional and broad-based education in accounting. It consists of 2 years of study. The first year of study follows a common core curriculum, in which all students will have to enrol in the generic and core business courses. These modules provide students with training in languages and general education as well as knowledge of the foundation of business. Business courses such as accounting, economics, finance, marketing, statistics and business law will be included. This arrangement will give students the opportunity to explore the areas they are interested in before choosing their stream of study. In the second year, students will specialise in one of the following themes:
- Accounting Studies
- Accounting and Banking
- Accounting and Financial Planning
Graduates will be awarded Higher Diploma in Accounting.
Programme Aims and Features (Accounting Studies)
- Develops with recognition from professional accounting bodies like the ACCA, HKIAAT, AIA and CIMA, which are well received by prospective employers;
- Specialised knowledge in accounting provides students with a sound base for further studies or career development in areas such as Financial Accounting, Management Accounting, Auditing and Taxation.
Opportunities for Further Studies
Programmes offered by local universities
Graduates are eligible to apply for admission to Bachelor’s degree programmes in Accountancy, Business Administration or other related disciplines offered by local universities (including HKU). The list below shows the UGC-funded degree offers that our graduates/ students received in the past*:
- The University of Hong Kong
BBA Accounting and Finance
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Bachelor of Business Administration
- City University of Hong Kong
BBA Business Analysis
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
BBA (Hons) Accountancy
Broad Discipline of Computing
BSc (Hons) Investment Science
- Hong Kong Baptist University
BBA (Hons) Accounting Concentration
- Lingnan University
BBA (Hons) Accountancy
- The Education University of Hong Kong
BEd (Hons) Business, Accounting and Financial Studies
*The above list is not exhaustive and only shows some of the examples.
Programmes offered by overseas universities
Graduates are also eligible to apply for admission to Bachelor’s degree programmes in Accountancy, Business Administration or other related disciplines by overseas universities:
- Bachelor of Commerce, The University of New South Wales Business School (Australia) (graduates may be exempted for up to 48 Units of Credits, equivalent to 1 year, upon achieving the minimum CGPA specified by the University);
- Full-time or part-time, Bachelor’s degree programmes offered locally by overseas universities in collaboration with HKU SPACE:
- BSc (Hons) in Accounting, The University of Hull (UK);
- BSc in Accounting and Finance, The University of London International Programmes (Lead College: London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE) (UK).
Graduates are eligible for exemption from:
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) for up to a maximum of 6 papers in the Professional Examinations;
- The Hong Kong Institute of Accredited Accounting Technicians (HKIAAT) for up to a maximum of 8 papers in the Accredited Accounting Technician Examination;
- The Association of International Accountants (AIA) for up to a maximum of 8 papers in the Professional Examinations;
- The Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) for up to 3 papers in the Professional Examinations.
This programme is developed with recognition from professional accounting bodies like ACCA, HKIAAT, AIA and CIMA, which are well received by prospective employers. Specialised knowledge in accounting provides students with a sound base for further studies or career development in Financial Accounting, Management Accounting, Auditing and Taxation.