DFS Application Code: HP 82-700
HD Application Code: HP 83-500
Programme Aims and Features
- Introduces students to sport coaching issues including the role of the coach, coaching science and performance, and management knowledge in recreation and sport activities;
- Emphasises developing competencies central to the coach, and sport and recreation manager with a special focus upon Sport Coaching, Sport Science and Assessment, Sport Event Management, Sport Performance, Sport and Recreation Facility Management, Sport Development, Outdoor Adventure and Recreation Programming;
- Compulsory module in the summer for students to apply theory and knowledge in a practical context, in order to develop the individual and professional competencies needed as a coach when working in the recreation and sport industry;
- Students have the opportunity to participate in major local sports and recreation events as volunteers in preparation for future careers.
Graduates will be awarded Higher Diploma in Sport Coaching and Sport Performance.
Opportunities for Further Studies
Programmes offered by local universities
Graduates are eligible to apply for admission to Bachelor’s degree programmes in Sport Coaching or other related disciplines offered by local universities (including HKU). The list below shows the UGC-funded degree offers that our graduates/ students received in the past*:
- The University of Hong Kong
Bachelor of Social Work
BSc Information Management
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
BSc Exercise Science and Health Education
- City University of Hong Kong
BSocSc Criminology and Sociology
*The above list is not exhaustive and only shows some of the examples.
Programmes offered by overseas universities
Graduates are also eligible to apply for admission to Bachelor’s degree programmes in Sport Coaching or other related disciplines offered by overseas universities:
- Full-time, 18-month, Bachelor of Science (Hons) Sport Coaching#, The University of Northumbria at Newcastle (UK) in collaboration with HKU SPACE International College (IC);
- Part-time, 36-month, Bachelor of Science (Hons) Sport Coaching#, offered locally by the University of Northumbria at Newcastle (UK) in collaboration with HKU SPACE.
2+2 Study Articulation in Hong Kong
Starting from September 2017, new students of this HD programme will be given a conditional offer* by the University of Northumbria at Newcastle, UK, to study another 18 months in Hong Kong to finish the BSc (Hons) Sport Coaching#.
* Students are required to fulfill the graduation requirements of the Higher Diploma study and have a successful admission interview for the degree study.
# The programme is accredited by the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications at QF Level 5 (QF registration no.: 18/000760/L5) for a period from 1 September 2018 to 31 August 2022. This is an exempted course under the Non-Local Higher and Professional Education (Regulation) Ordinance. It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognize any qualification to which this course may lead.
Graduates may be considered for coaching and supervisory positions with organisations such as the Leisure and Cultural Services Department (LCSD), National Sports Associations (NSAs), fitness centres and community based sport and recreation organisations.
This is a compulsory module offered in the summer during which students undertake work experience and apply their acquired theory and knowledge into a practical context to develop the individual and professional competencies needed when working in the recreation and sport industry.
HK01, 27 June 2019
Mingpao JUMP, 11 August 2017