DFS Application Code: HP 82-104
AD Application Code: HP 83-204
Psychology is the scientific study of behaviour and mental processes. Psychologists try to describe, predict, and explain human behaviour and mental processes, as well as help change and improve the lives of people and the world in which they live. Knowledge in psychology can be applied to many different fields, such as teaching, counselling, health and community services, marketing, management and training etc. Graduates of this programme will be trained in knowledge and skills needed for a wide range of work.
Programme Aims and Features
- Equip students with a broad-based social sciences education and a solid foundation in the core areas of psychology, including abnormal, biological, developmental, organisational and social psychology;
- Emphasises the application of knowledge in psychology to the workplace and to everyday life.
Opportunities for Further Studies
Programmes offered by local universities
Graduates are eligible to apply for admission to Year 2 (of a 3-year curriculum) or Year 3 (of a 4-year curriculum) Bachelor’s degree programmes in Social Sciences (with psychology as a major or minor study) or other related disciplines offered by local (including HKU) universities.
The list below shows the UGC-funded degree offers that our graduates/ students received in the past*:
- The University of Hong Kong
Bachelor of Engineering
Bachelor of Social Sciences
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
BSSc Gender Studies
BSSc Global Studies
- City University of Hong Kong
BSocSc Applied Sociology
BSocSc Asian and International Studies
BSocSc Environmental Policy
BSocSc Public Policy and Politics
BSocSc Public Policy, Management, and Politics
BSocSc Social Work
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
BA (Hons) Social Policy and Administration
- Hong Kong Baptist University
BSSc (Hons) Psychology
Bachelor of Social Work
- The Education University of Hong Kong
Bachelor of Science Education (Hons) Sports Science Programme
BSocSc (Hons) Psychology
*The above list is not exhaustive and only shows some of the examples.
Programmes offered by overseas universities
Graduates are also eligible to apply for admission to Bachelor’s degree programmes in Social Sciences (with psychology as a major or minor study) or other related disciplines offered by overseas universities:
- Full-time, Bachelor’s degree programmes offered locally by overseas universities in collaboration with HKU SPACE International College (IC):
2-year, Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Criminology with Psychology, The University of Hull (UK);
2-year, Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Sociology, The University of Hull (UK);
- Part-time, 2-year (trimester) Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Social Sciences, offered locally by Edinburgh Napier University (UK) in collaboration with HKU SPACE.
Students who articulate to an undergraduate degree programme and subsequently to postgraduate studies may also be trained in a specialised field of psychology, such as counselling psychology, clinical psychology, educational psychology and industrial / organisational psychology to become professional psychologists.
Graduates could take up positions in the business sector (e.g., marketing assistants, customer services assistants and junior positions in retail and personnel management etc.) as well as the social services sector (e.g. executive assistants or field assistants in NGOs etc.).