DFS Application Code: HPDFS-THES
HD Application Code: HDHM
More programme information and activities details could be found on the programme Facebook page or Youtube channel:
With the deepening cooperation of Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao in the metropolitan region, the integration of Hong Kong into Mainland China's rapidly growing express rail network, together with the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge, all of these developments reinforced Hong Kong's position as the transport and economic hub in southern China. In 2018, Hong Kong continues to record a high number of visitors with a hotel room occupancy rate of 91%.
Consequently, the demand for qualified manpower remains strong in the local hotel industry. This programme was launched in 2008 that designed to provide a tailored curriculum covering specific features of the hotel industry with a special focus on Hong Kong. It is a multi-disciplinary study that prepares students for a rewarding career in the hotel industry. Upon graduation, graduates are expected to progress to further studies, or join the hotel management workforce either locally or overseas.
Programme Aims and Features
This programme was launched in 2008. It is a 2-year full-time programme that designed to provide a tailored curriculum covering specific features of the hotel industry with a special focus on Hong Kong, at a level commensurate with junior management. Moreover, this programme is equipped with a comprehensive training centre for hotel management, with facilities including mock-up guest room, reception counter and catering facilities, allowing this programme to provide professional training to the students and better respond to the education needs of the industry.
This programme is a multi-disciplinary study that encourages the acquisition of basic life and employment skills that prepares students for further studies or a rewarding career. A practical job placement of 6 months is an essential part of this 2-year training programme in the hotel management areas. All students in good standing have been given ample opportunities to work in around 40 deluxe hotels in Hong Kong including the Peninsula, Grand Hyatt, Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton, Landmark Mandarin Oriental, JW Marriott, Sheraton, Shangri-la and Renaissance, etc.
Opportunities for Further Studies
Programmes offered by local universities
Graduates are eligible to apply for admission to Bachelor’s degree programmes offered by local universities, including Year 3 of the 4-year, BSc (Hons) in Hotel Management offered by The Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
The list below shows the degree offers that our graduates/ students received in the past*:
- The University of Hong Kong
Bachelor of Arts
BSc Information Management
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
BSSc Gender Studies
BSSc Global Studies
BSc Community Health Practice
- City University of Hong Kong
BA Chinese and History
BA Media and Communication
BBA Business Analysis
BBA Business Operations Management
BBA Global Business Systems Management
BSocSc Asian and International Studies
BSocSc Criminology and Sociology
BSocSc Public Policy and Politics
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
BSc (Hons) Aviation Operations and Systems
BSc (Hons) in Hotel Management
BSc (Hons) in Tourism Management
BBA (Hons) Aviation Management and Logistics
- Hong Kong Baptist University
BBA (Hons) Human Resources Management Concentration
BBA (Hons) Marketing Concentration
*The above list is not exhaustive and only shows some of the examples.
Programmes offered by overseas universities
Graduates are also eligible to apply for admission to Bachelor’s degree programmes offered by overseas universities:
- Full-time, 12-18 month, BBA in Global Hospitality Management (Senior year entry), Les Roches (Switzerland);
- Full-time, 12-18 month, BBA in International Hospitality Business (Senior year entry), Glion Institute of Higher Education (Switzerland);
- Full-time, 12-18 month, BA (Hons) in International Hospitality Management (Senior year entry), Swiss Hotel Management School (Switzerland);
- Full-time, 12-18 month, BA (Hons) in International Hospitality and Events Management (Senior year entry), Swiss Hotel Management School (Switzerland);
- Full-time, 12-18 month, BA (Hons) in International Hospitality & Design Management (Senior year entry), Swiss Hotel Management School (Switzerland);
- Full-time, Bachelor’s degree programmes offered locally by overseas universities in collaboration with HKU SPACE International College (IC):
- 18-month, Bachelor of Science (Honours) Hospitality Management, University of Plymouth (UK);
- 2-year, Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) in International Festival and Event Management, Edinburgh Napier University (UK).
The outlook of the hotel industry of Hong Kong remains positive in the coming years, necessitating huge demands for service personnel. There will be immense opportunities for graduates of this programme to develop their careers in the hotel industry locally and overseas.
Some of our graduates are working in deluxe hotels, including the Peninsula, Grand Hyatt, Four Seasons, InterContinental Grand Stanford, Mandarin Oriental and Sheraton.
Topick, 21 June 2019