DCFS Application Code: DCFS-SRM
HD Application Code: HDSRM
The sport and recreation sector has had a growing impact on the global economy with significant investments in public infrastructure, mobilising resources and creating new professions and jobs. It is expected that the demand for sport and recreational services in Hong Kong and the Pearl River Delta will continue to increase, and that opportunities to work in this industry will further expand.
In addition, the sport events in Asia, such as 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo and 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing, boosted greater interest and participation in sport and exercise among the community, and enhanced Hong Kong's image as a sport and culture hub of Asia.
Programme Aims and Features
- Equips students with the knowledge and practical skills needed to design, implement and supervise sport and recreation programmes, events and services for individuals and groups;
- Emphasises developing competencies central to the sport and recreation manager with a special focus upon Sport Event Management, Sport and Recreation Facility Management, Customer Relation and Human Resources Management in Sport Organisation, Sport Recreation and Technology, Sport and Recreation Marketing, and Outdoor Adventure and Recreation Programming;
- Compulsory module in the summer for students to apply theory and knowledge in a practical context, in order to develop the individual and professional competencies needed when working in the recreation and sport industry;
- Students have the opportunity to participate in major local sports and recreation events as volunteers in preparation for future careers.
Opportunities for Further Studies
Graduates are eligible to apply for admission to Bachelor’s degree programmes in Sport and Recreation Management or other related disciplines offered by local universities (including HKU).
The list below shows the degree offers that our graduates/ students received in the past*:
- The University of Hong Kong
Bachelor of Engineering
BBA Accounting and Finance
BSc Information Management
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
BSc Exercise Science and Health Education
BSc Community Health Practice
BSSc Gender Studies
- Hong Kong Baptist University
BA (Hons) Physical Education and Recreation Management
BBA (Hons) Entrepreneurship Concentration
BSc (Hons) Mathematics and Statistics
- City University of Hong Kong
BBA Business Economics
BSocSc Asian and International Studies
BSocSc Criminology and Sociology
BSocSc Public Policy and Politics
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
BA (Hons) Applied Ageing Studies and Service Management
BBA (Hons) Management
- The Education University of Hong Kong
BEd (Hons) (Primary) - Mathematics
BEd (Hons) Physical Education
Bachelor of Science Education (Hons) (Sports Science)
*The above list is not exhaustive and only shows some of the examples.
Graduates are also eligible to apply for the below degree programmes offered by other institutions:
Other Local Institutions
- HKU SPACE International College
Full-time, 1.5 years, Bachelor of Science (Hons) Sport Management#, offered by the University of Northumbria at Newcastle (UK) in collaboration with HKU SPACE International College (IC)
- HKU SPACE
Part-time, 36-month, Bachelor of Science (Hons) Sport Management#, offered by the University of Northumbria at Newcastle (UK) in collaboration with HKU SPACE
Direct Study Articulation in Hong Kong
Students of this HD programme will be given a conditional offer* by the University of Northumbria at Newcastle, UK, to study another 1.5 years in Hong Kong to finish the BSc (Hons) Sport Management#.
*Students are required to fulfill the graduation requirements of the Higher Diploma study and have a successful admission interview for the degree study.
#The programme is accredited by the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications at QF Level 5 (QF registration no.: 15/002495/L5) for a period from 1 September 2022 to 31 August 2026. This is an exempted course under the Non-Local Higher and Professional Education (Regulation) Ordinance. It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognize any qualification to which this course may lead.
Graduates may be considered for junior management and supervisory positions in sport and recreation organisations in both the public and private sectors, such as community centres, private and residential clubhouses, fitness centres, theme and leisure parks, schools, Leisure and Cultural Services Department, and National Sports Associations.
This is a compulsory module offered in the summer during which students undertake work experience and apply their acquired theory and knowledge into a practical context to develop the individual and professional competencies needed when working in the recreation and sport industry.
HK01, 26 June 2023
Sportsroad, 25 June 2021
體育康樂課程 提供實習機會 開啟未來專業出路
HK01, 18 June 2021
HK01, 27 June 2019
【DSE 2019】愛運動女生 寓興趣於求學
Mingpao JUMP, 11 August 2017
HK01, 10 July 2017